Is renters insurance required in South Dakota?
Your landlord or the rental company may want to see proof of a renters insurance policy, even though South Dakota state law doesn't mandate coverage. Even if your landlord doesn't require renters insurance, it's affordable. It can offer peace of mind and may protect your belongings in the event of a covered loss. If you're temporarily displaced while your residence is under construction due to a covered loss, renters insurance may cover hotel and dining expenses above what you'd typically spend.
South Dakota renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all South Dakota renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in South Dakota is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water backup: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water backup coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in South Dakota
South Dakotans can encounter various extreme weather situations, including hailstorms, tornadoes, snowstorms, and wildfires. Your South Dakota renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Are you moving in South Dakota and need to insure your personal items while in transit? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on South Dakota renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in South Dakota, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
What does South Dakota renters insurance cost?
Renters insurance in South Dakota costs less than $1/day* on average. Your actual cost will be affected by components such as your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.