Is renters insurance required in Tennessee?
Tennessee law doesn't require renters insurance. However, your landlord or rental office might require a renters insurance policy before they hand you the keys. Even if you aren't required to have one, a renters insurance policy can protect your belongings against covered perils like fire and theft.
Tennessee renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Tennessee renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Tennessee is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Tennessee
Although it's outside of what's traditionally known as Tornado Alley, Tennessee may still suffer damaging windstorms. Your Tennessee renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from storm damage caused by certain types of severe weather, up to your policy's limits. Learn more about how home insurance may cover storm damage.
Rivers and creeks experiencing heavy rainfall or blockages can create rising water levels in Tennessee. While renters insurance in Tennessee won't cover damage from outside flooding, a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on Tennessee renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Tennessee, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does Tennessee renters insurance cost?
You can buy Tennessee renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Tennessee, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get a Tennessee renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.