Alabama homeowners insurance
Alabama offers a world of delights for the people who call the Cotton State "home." Boasting gorgeous Gulf Shores in the south and the iconic US Space and Rocket Center in the north, there is something for everyone. Whether you're already a homeowner in Alabama or you're looking to purchase property, Progressive is delighted to help protect Alabama homeowners with customizable, affordable home insurance. Learn more about our coverages and discounts.
How you're covered
Alabama doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider."
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Alabama
Depending on where in Alabama you live, tornadoes can cause major harm to Alabama homes. Your home insurance policy may cover wind damage to your home's structure and belongings, up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Learn more about how home insurance in Alabama may cover damage caused by severe weather.
Alabama homes near large bodies of water – like the Tennessee River, Guntersville Lake, or the Gulf of Mexico – can experience flooding issues due to rising water levels. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
Use Progressive's Home Quote Explorer® tool to compare rates and coverages from multiple companies, and make choosing your homeowners insurance as simple as possible.
How much is homeowners insurance in Alabama?
Your cost for Alabama homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you've purchased in Alabama?
Fun facts about homes in Alabama
You've likely heard the song "Sweet Home Alabama," but did you know there's an actual "Sweet Home" in Alabama? Built in the city of Bessemer in 1906, it's a historical landmark; the original owner's name was H.W. Sweet.
At 68.6%, Alabama's homeownership rate is higher than the national average (63.8%).
Shelby County's Habitat for Humanity once broke the record for the world's fastest construction of a house in 3 hours, 26 minutes, and 34 seconds. The 3-bedroom, 2-bath, 1,200-square-foot home was built in Montevallo in 2002.