Alaska renters insurance
Renters insurance offers affordable protection against damage to your personal belongings, as well as liability coverage if you're responsible for someone else's injuries at your home. It can also cover living expenses if you have to relocate temporarily if your home is unable to be lived in and is being repaired due to a covered loss. Get a customized quote from Progressive for renters insurance in the Last Frontier.
Do you need renters insurance in Alaska?
Renters insurance isn't required by law in Alaska. However, if you're moving into a building or rented home, your landlord could require it as a lease stipulation. Even if it's not contractually required, renters insurance is worth considering since it offers protection against liability and personal property theft or damage.
Alaska renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Alaska renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Alaska is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: may pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Alaska
Life in the Land of the Midnight Sun comes with its own set of potential hazards, including snowstorms and blizzards, earthquakes, and wildfires. With Alaska renters insurance, your policy may help pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril up to a specified limit, minus your deductible.
As an Alaska resident, you may be well-versed in the risks that earthquakes pose to your possessions. Most renters insurance policies don't include coverage for earthquakes, but you may be able to purchase a separate earthquake insurance policy.
Discounts on Alaska renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Alaska, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount.
What does Alaska renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Alaska, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.