Florida homeowners insurance
The tropical climate of Florida is a popular retirement location, a tourist destination, and home to amazing theme parks, resorts, and some of the most beautiful flora and fauna you'll find in America. What else is popular in Florida? Customizable, affordable home insurance from Progressive. Check out Florida home insurance coverages, discounts, and more.
How you're covered
Florida doesn't require homeowners insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit, so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Florida
Floridians must contend with a variety of windstorms, fire risks, and hurricane— all of which can be sources of harm to Florida homes. Your home insurance policy may cover damage to your home's structure and belongings caused by covered perils, up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Learn more about how home insurance may cover damage caused by severe weather.
It won't come as a surprise to hear that rising water levels can cause flooding issues in Florida. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm system
- Quote in advance
- New purchase
See more of our home insurance discounts.
If you need more than $500,000 in personal liability coverage, an umbrella policy from Progressive can offer up to $5 million in additional protection.
How much is homeowners insurance in Florida?
Your cost for Florida homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you've purchased in Florida?
Fun facts about homes in Florida
The state of Florida is home to several homes that have been designated as National Historic Landmarks.
Florida's homeownership rate is about 65.0% higher than the national average (63.8%).
Wherever your home is in Florida, one thing's for sure – you're always only 60 miles or less away from the nearest body of saltwater.