Do you need car insurance in Florida?
Car insurance is required in Florida. If you reside in the Sunshine State, you must meet Florida's auto insurance minimums with coverage limits of at least:
- Personal injury protection (PIP): $10,000
- Property damage liability (PD): $10,000
Personal injury protection covers your medical costs, as well as lost wages and death benefits, and pays out even if you're at fault. PD covers damage you cause to another person's vehicle or property.
Do I need uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage in Florida?
Uninsured/underinsured bodily injury coverage (UM/UIM BI) is also recommended, with the following minimum limits:
- UM/UIM BI: $10,000 per person, $20,000 per accident
Note: This coverage can be rejected.
Uninsured motorist coverage covers medical expenses for you and your passengers if you're hit by a driver with no insurance or not enough car insurance coverage. To ensure all of your assets are protected in case you're liable in an auto accident, you can increase your limits beyond your state's requirements to cover your total net worth.
Progressive's Snapshot® discount program personalizes your rate based on your driving. The safer you drive, the more you could save. See more on Snapshot.
Consider carrying comprehensive and collision coverage
When you lease or finance a vehicle, lenders will usually require you to carry comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. Comprehensive covers damage to your car from incidents out of your control, such as theft and hitting a deer. Collision covers damage to your vehicle if you hit another object, including another vehicle, guardrail, or tree.
Additional coverages to consider:
Medical payments cover the cost of injuries to you or your passengers after a covered accident. Learn more about medical payments coverage.
If your vehicle gets damaged in a covered accident and you owe more on your car than what it's worth, gap insurance can cover the difference.
How much is car insurance in Florida?
The cost of a policy for auto insurance in Florida may vary based on a number of factors, like your driving history, the vehicles you drive, ZIP code, plus the limits and coverages you choose.
Get an affordable Florida car insurance quote today. Progressive's car insurance calculator can help you select the amount of coverage you need and get the best Florida car insurance rates to suit your budget.
Learn more about the factors that impact car insurance rates.
What discounts are available with FL auto insurance?
Progressive customers could earn a variety of discounts, such as:
- Paid in full
- Three-year safe driving
- Online quote
- Five-year accident-free
- Teen driver
- Good student
When you bundle your auto and homeowners insurance in Florida, you can rest easy knowing your valuable assets will be protected — and you'll save money. You can also earn a multi-policy discount by bundling auto and renters insurance or a combination of two or more policies with Progressive. These include combining renters motorcycle, and boat policies.
See all auto insurance discounts.
Bundle & save! New customers who save bundling home and auto save over 20% on average.*
Fast facts about auto insurance in Florida
- In 2019, Florida ranked 28th for states with the most distracted driver accidents. If you're a safe driver, you could save more with Progressive's Snapshot program.
- According to the Insurance Information Institute, Florida ranked third in the nation for most motor vehicle thefts in 2019. Carry comprehensive coverage to help protect your vehicle against theft.
- An estimated 20.4% of Florida drivers were uninsured as of 2019. With uninsured motorist coverage, you're protected, up to the limits of your policy, if the other driver can't pay.
- Florida is one of only two states — along with Virginia — that uses an FR-44 form. This is used in place of an SR-22 form for drivers who have severe infractions on their record.
How to get car insurance in Florida
We ask easy questions, and you customize your coverages.
Call a rep
Talk with a licensed representative who can guide you through the process.
Through an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your area.