Is renters insurance required in Iowa?
Although renters insurance isn't mandated by law in Iowa, your landlord or the company that manages your apartment building might require a renters policy. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils.
Iowa renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Iowa renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Iowa is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Iowa
In 2017 Iowa was ranked 18th in the country for states with the most breaks-ins. Your renters insurance policy may pay to replace your stolen items, up to your coverage limit and minus your deductible. Learn more about how renters insurance covers theft.
If you’re moving in Iowa and looking to insure your belongings while they’re in transit to your new home, find out how your belongings may be covered while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Iowa renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Iowa, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
How much is renters insurance in Iowa?
You can buy Iowa renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Iowa, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.