Is renters insurance required in Maryland?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Maryland law, your landlord or leasing company might require it. Even if you aren't required to have a renters insurance policy, it may help protect your belongings or pay for you to stay somewhere else while repairs are made to your apartment due to a covered loss.
Maryland renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Maryland renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Maryland is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Maryland
Are you moving in Maryland and wondering how to insure your belongings while they're in transit? Learn more about insurance for your property while in storage.
Discounts on Maryland renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Maryland, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
What does Maryland renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* However, many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Maryland, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.