Maryland homeowners insurance
Despite being one of the smallest states in America, Maryland boasts an amazing 4,000+ miles of shoreline. Progressive, has earned the trust of Maryland homeowners across the state with affordable, customized home insurance. Check out Progressive's home insurance coverage, discounts, and cost information.
How you're covered
Maryland doesn't require homeowners insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy’s coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit, so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Understand that coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is essential to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Maryland
The good news is that it's exceedingly rare for hurricanes to inflict major harm on Maryland homes. But they're still susceptible to water damage in other ways, like flooding. Your home insurance policy may cover damage to your home's structure and belongings up to your policy's limits, minus your deductible, for damage from windstorm or hail, however, you’ll need separate flood insurance in order to get coverage in the case of flood damage.
Learn more about how home insurance in Maryland may cover damage caused by severe weather.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
Learn more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
You can also get an umbrella policy from Progressive, which may provide up to an additional $5 million in personal liability coverage.
How much is homeowners insurance in Maryland?
Your cost for Maryland homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Fast facts about homes in Maryland
Maryland has a homeownership rate of about 66.8%, slightly higher than the national average.
Maryland has preserved a number of historically significant homes over the years, including the Clara Barton House. Barton founded the American Red Cross, and fittingly, part of this home was built using lumber repurposed after a Red Cross effort helped people recover from a historic flood in a neighboring state.
One of the most unusual Maryland residences is the Mushroom House in Bethesda. It began as a house much like any other, until later owners hired architect Roy Mason to renovate it – which he did, using a whole lot of polyurethane foam to give it its unique design.