New Jersey home insurance
Whether you're a lifelong resident, a new arrival, or still in the planning phases of buying a home in New Jersey, a home insurance policy from Progressive offers customized protection and multiple discounts to safeguard your home and save you money. Learn about home insurance coverages, common claims, and savings opportunities in the Garden State.
How you're covered
New Jersey doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy. Your policy's coverages safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider."
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind, coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It’s important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Common claims in New Jersey
Garden State residents are fortunate to live in an area where many forms of severe weather are comparatively rare. New Jersey doesn't typically see harsh winters, tornadoes, or earthquakes, all of which can drive up home insurance costs. However, New Jersey is an eastern coastal state, so hurricanes and tropical storms are a risk, even if they don't always make it so far north. Nor'easters are another form of seasonal storm, typical of the late winter and early spring, that can bring severe precipitation.
Get more information about how home insurance in New Jersey may cover damage from severe weather.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Hurricanes, tropical storms, and Nor'easters can all cause flooding, especially for homes near other large bodies of water. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings in case of damage from flooding.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
Progressive's Home Quote Explorer® lets you compare rates and coverages from multiple companies. Comparison shopping for insurance has never been easier.
How much is homeowners insurance in New Jersey?
Your New Jersey homeowners insurance cost varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.