Ohio renters insurance
If you're looking for affordable renters insurance in Ohio, Progressive has the Buckeye State covered with customized protection and discounts to help lower your rate. Find out how Progressive may protect Ohio renters by getting a personalized quote.
Is renters insurance required in Ohio?
Ohio law doesn't require renters insurance. However, your landlord or rental office might require a renters insurance policy before they hand you the keys. Even if you aren't required to have one, a renters insurance policy can protect your belongings against covered perils like fire and theft.
Ohio renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Ohio renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Ohio is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Your standard renters policy may not cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump. Water backup coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Ohio
Ohio ranked eleventh in the country for most vehicle thefts in 2020. If someone steals personal items out of your vehicle, renters insurance may pay to replace your stolen belongings, up to your policy’s coverage limits and minus your deductible.
Are you an Ohioan on the move and wondering how to insure your belongings while they’re in transit from your old place to your new space? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Ohio renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Ohio, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
How much is renters insurance in Ohio?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Ohio, including your location, coverage limits, and the number of units in your building. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.