What's included in a standard Progressive Ohio boat insurance policy?
Bodily injury liability coverage and property damage liability coverage can pay your expenses if you're found liable for accidents. Bodily injury liability helps pay for medical costs for another person, either from a collision or if a guest sustained an injury while aboard your vessel. Property damage liability helps cover the costs of damage to other people's boats or property, including structures like docks or buoys. As with any liability coverage, choose a coverage limit that best protects you and your assets.
Wreckage removal helps cover the cost of retrieving your boat from the water in states that mandate retrieval of wrecked vessels.
Fuel spill coverage helps pay costs associated with the legally required clean-up of spilled fuel.
Watersport coverage helps pay the medical costs of guests involved in accidents while taking part in water sports like skiing or tubing.
Optional Progressive boat coverages
Comprehensive and collision: Comprehensive coverage can help pay the repair or replacement cost of your boat if it is lost or damaged by fire, vandalism, storms, and other non-collision-related dangers. This coverage can also protect your boat while in storage during the off-season when you aren't actively checking on it. Collision coverage, protects your boat from accidents involving other boats as well as submerged objects in the water. If you're financing your boat, your lender will likely require both comprehensive and collision. Learn more about comprehensive and collision coverage for boats.
Sign & Glide®: Sign & Glide® towing assistance† will help if your boat gets stuck on the water with on-water towing, jump starts, fuel delivery, †† and more.
Uninsured/underinsured boater: If you're injured in an accident caused by another boater who doesn't have sufficient insurance (or any insurance at all), uninsured/underinsured boater coverage can help pay your medical bills and other things like lost wages while you recover.
See all Progressive boat insurance coverages.
Does Progressive insure yachts?
Ohio might not seem like a major yacht destination, but with miles of shoreline along Lake Erie, there are more than just a few large boats on the water. If you have a boat registered in the state of Ohio that's more than 26 feet, Progressive may still be able to help you get the insurance you need.
How much is boat insurance in Ohio?
Despite its long shoreline, Ohio has a shorter boating season due to harsh winters. As a result, boat insurance costs are among the most affordable in the country. In addition to the type of coverage you opt for, many factors decide the cost of boat insurance, including:
- Your age: Generally, the older you are, the more affordable your rate may be.
- Make, model, and year of the boat: Insuring larger, older, or more expensive boats often leads to a higher premium.
- Boating experience: More experienced boaters may pay less for boat insurance than newer boaters.
- Claims history: This may include both at-fault and not-at-fault claims.
How can I lower my boat insurance rate in Ohio?
Discounts vary by state, but you may be able to lower your Progressive insurance rate if:
- Responsible driver: If you maintain a clean boating and driving record for three years, you can lower your insurance rates.
- Original owner: If you're the original owner of your boat – and you carry both comprehensive and collision coverage – then you may qualify to reduce your overall premium.
- Pay in full: Receive a discount on your rate by paying your policy upfront and in full.
- Prompt payment: Pay on time, every time, and receive a discount on your rates.
See if you qualify for more boat insurance discounts.