South Carolina renters insurance
Get reliable renters insurance in South Carolina at an affordable price — from Columbia to Charleston and everywhere else in The Palmetto State. Progressive offers customized protection in case of damage caused by fire, theft, and other covered perils. And if a houseguest sustains an injury at your residence, renters insurance may also protect you if you're liable. See your coverage options for renters insurance in South Carolina, then get a personalized quote in minutes.
Is renters insurance required in South Carolina?
South Carolina does not require renters insurance, but that may not matter. Your landlord or property rental company may require it as a condition of your rental agreement. Having coverage to protect your possessions may be a viable reason to consider taking out a rental insurance policy, even if it's not required.
South Carolina renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all South Carolina renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in South Carolina is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water backup: Your standard renters policy may not cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump. Water backup coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in South Carolina
Hurricanes and tropical storms are significant sources of weather-related damage for South Carolina residents. Your South Carolina renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril up to your policy's limits (minus your policy's deductible).
The long stretch of the Atlantic Ocean coastline presents the possibility of flooding issues for South Carolina rental homes and apartments. But even properties away from the coast can experience flooding from rising water levels due to various other factors. While renters insurance doesn't cover damage from outside flooding, a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on South Carolina renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in South Carolina, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount,* even from your phone.
How much is renters insurance in South Carolina?
On average, renters insurance in South Carolina costs less than $1/day.* Your location, coverage limits, and type of home may influence the cost of your policy, among other factors. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.