Washington renters Insurance
Get dependable renters insurance in Washington state at an affordable price. See how you're covered, then get a personalized renters insurance quote. Progressive offers customized protection and discounts to lower your cost for renters insurance in Washington.
Is renters insurance required in Washington state?
Washington state laws don't mandate renters insurance, but your landlord or the property management company may require it as part of your rental agreement. Fortunately, renters insurance is usually affordable. In the event of a covered loss, it may cover your personal belongings and additional living expenses if you're forced to stay somewhere else while your residence or rental unit is rebuilt or repaired.
Washington renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Washington renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Washington is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Washington
Wildfires have become more common in Washington state over the years. Plus, the majority of the state's population lives in the rainy Seattle metropolitan area, and weather-related damages do happen in the state from time to time. Your Washington renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Are you moving in Washington and need to insure your personal items while in transit? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Washington renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Washington, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Progressive makes buying renters insurance easy. Use our Home Quote Explorer® tool to compare rates and coverages from multiple renters insurance companies.
How much is renters insurance in Washington state?
The cost of renters insurance in Washington state is influenced by your location, coverage limits, and other components. On average, you can buy Washington state renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.