Is renters insurance required in Massachusetts?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Massachusetts law, your landlord might require you to have a policy. Even if you don't have to get a policy, renters insurance may protect your belongings against certain perils or help you pay to live elsewhere if your home is unlivable and being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Massachusetts renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Massachusetts renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Massachusetts is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: may pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Massachusetts
Mass.gov reports that there were 10,368 burglary and breaking-and-entering offenses in 2020 in the state of Massachusetts. Find out how renters insurance may cover theft if your belongings are stolen.
Progressive makes buying Massachusetts renters insurance easy. Use our Home Quote Explorer® tool to compare rates and coverages from multiple renters insurance companies.
Discounts on Massachusetts renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Massachusetts, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Are you moving and wondering how to insure your belongings while they're in transit? Learn more about insurance for your property while moving or in storage.
What does renters insurance in Massachusetts cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* However, many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Massachusetts, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get a Massachusetts renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.