What are Kentucky's auto insurance requirements?
There are minimum requirements for auto insurance in Kentucky, so before you hit the road, make sure you're covered. Kentucky residents need liability coverage limits of at least:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability
- $50,000 in total bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability
Kentucky also requires you to carry personal injury protection (PIP) with the following minimum limit:
- PIP: $10,000
Note: You can waive basic PIP coverage and choose a limited PIP option instead.
Bluegrass State drivers must carry these coverages before they hit the road. It's a good idea to consider upping your limits so you have more protection if you're ever in an accident. Learn more about auto liability insurance and personal injury protection.
Explore comprehensive and collision coverage
You may already be required by your lender to carry comprehensive and collision coverage if you financed or leased your vehicle. But even if you own your car outright, these car insurance coverages can give you peace of mind in the event of an accident, damage, or theft. Learn more about comprehensive coverage and collision coverage today.
Our Name Your Price® tool gives you the power to choose. Let us know what you want to pay, and we'll show you insurance options in that price range.
How much is car insurance in Kentucky?
In 2020, the average liability-only Progressive auto insurance in Kentucky cost $174 per month.* Keep in mind that car insurance rates vary based on a number of factors, including your driving history and ZIP code. Learn more about what can impact your car insurance rate.
What car insurance discounts are available in Kentucky?
Progressive offers discounts and incentives for Kentucky drivers, such as:
- Online quote
- Anti-theft device
- Paid in full
- Five-year claim free
- Online signature
If you own your home, bundling your auto and home insurance in Kentucky can help you save money, all while protecting your most valuable assets. Do you rent? Bundling your car and renters insurance can also earn you a discount.
See all auto insurance discounts.
Interesting facts about driving in Kentucky:
- Eastern Kentucky is home to more than 10,000 wild elk, and elk-related car accidents occur each year. Pay attention to elk-crossing signs in that part of the state and watch your speed, especially around blind curves.
- Kentucky's rural roads are some of its most dangerous, sometimes lacking safety features like lighting, left-turn lanes, and wide shoulders. Stay aware while driving those country roads and consider additional coverage to protect yourself in case of an accident.
- Are you a classic sports car nut? If so, you may already know that since 1981, the only Corvette assembly facility in the world can be found in Bowling Green. If you buy one of their vintage vehicles, make sure to check out classic car insurance with Progressive.
How can I get a quote for car insurance in Kentucky?
Customize your policy’s coverages, limits, and deductibles.
Talk to a licensed representative who will guide you through every step of the process.
Ask an agent
Get expert advice from an independent agent near you.