Renters insurance in Kentucky
Kentucky's 4.5 million residents love the Bluegrass State. If you count yourself among their number, Progressive offers customized protection and discounts to lower your cost for renters insurance in Kentucky. Find out how coverage works, and receive a quote in minutes.
Is renters insurance required in Kentucky?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Kentucky law, your landlord might require you to have a policy when you move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. It also may pay for you to stay elsewhere if you're unable to stay in your residence while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Kentucky renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Kentucky renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Kentucky is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: may pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Kentucky
In 2019, there were 16,251 cases of burglary and breaking and entering reported in Kentucky. Find out how renters insurance may cover theft if your belongings are stolen in a burglary.
Are you moving and wondering how to insure your belongings while they're in transit? Learn more about insurance for your property while moving or storing it.
Discounts on Kentucky renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Kentucky, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Progressive makes buying renters insurance easy. Use our Home Quote Explorer® tool to compare rates and coverages from multiple renters insurance companies.
What does Kentucky renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Kentucky, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.