What are Maine's car insurance requirements?
Car insurance is required in Maine. Drivers must carry minimum liability coverage limits of at least:
- $50,000 in bodily injury per person
- $100,000 in total bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 in property damage per accident
Maine uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
Maine also requires uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage (UM/UIM BI) and medical payments coverage with the following minimum limits:
- UM/UIM BI: $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident
- Medical payments coverage: $2,000 per person
Uninsured motorist coverage covers medical expenses for you and your passengers if a driver with insufficient coverage or no insurance runs into you. Medical payments coverage goes toward any hospital or doctor's bills you or your passengers incur after an accident.
While these represent the minimum required auto insurance in Maine, you may want to consider adding extra car insurance coverage. Increasing your auto liability insurance limits can help protect your assets and provide peace of mind.
Comprehensive and collision coverage protects your vehicle
Most lenders require comprehensive coverage and collision coverage if you lease or finance your car. But even if your ride is fully paid off, comprehensive and collision can be valuable if your vehicle gets stolen, vandalized, or damaged in a covered incident.
Ready to make the switch? Drivers nationwide who switch and save with Progressive save over $700 on average.* Get a car insurance quote today.
What is the average cost of car insurance in Maine?
Progressive liability-only auto policies in Maine cost an average of $101 per month in 2020-2021.* Remember, rates vary based on your driving history, ZIP code, and coverage selections.
Are there any car insurance discounts in Maine?
Progressive offers many discounts to lower your price for auto insurance, including:
- Five-year claim-free
- Online quote
- Paid in full
- Teen driver
- Online signature
When you bundle auto and homeowners insurance in Maine, you'll get the protection you need — and savings you'll love. There are many other ways to earn a multi-policy discount by bundling two or more policies with Progressive like motorcycle/boat, RV, or renters.
See all auto insurance discounts.
Fast facts about driving in Maine
- Maine's Bureau of Motor Vehicles and police officers allow you to show proof of insurance from your smartphone. Learn how to get proof of insurance.
- If you drive without car insurance in Maine, you're subject to a fine from $100 to $500 plus a suspension of your license.
- It's illegal to drive with a cracked windshield in Maine. Comprehensive coverage can pay to repair or replace a broken windshield.
How to get car insurance in Maine
Answer some easy questions and choose your coverages.
A licensed representative will answer any questions you have.
Ask an agent
Need local advice? We'll connect you with a licensed independent agent near you.