What is RV insurance?

RV insurance provides protection if you cause injuries or damages to others, and can also cover the cost of damages to your vehicle if a covered incident occurs. You can choose from a variety of coverages that will differ depending on how you use your vehicle — recreationally or as a full-time residence.

2 min to read

Explore Progressive's editorial standards for Answers articles to find out why you can trust the insurance information you find here.

Medium-sized RV

Is RV insurance required?

In many states, you’re only required to carry bodily injury and property damage liability on your motorhome. Travel trailers are a different story. Because they’re not motorized, insurance is optional. However, if you're financing your motorhome or travel trailer, your lender will typically require you to carry physical damage coverages. Review your policy to ensure you have the RV insurance coverages you need to protect you and your RV. Learn more about RV insurance requirements by state.

How does RV insurance work?

If you damage your RV or cause injuries to someone else (and/or their property), you can file a claim with your insurance provider. Depending on the incident that occurred, your insurer may pay for the losses or injuries up to your coverage amount.

There are some differences between RV insurance and traditional auto insurance. When you buy RV insurance, your insurer or agent will ask simple questions about you, your RV, and how often you use it. You'll then select coverages to best protect you and your vehicle. Options include liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and even RV towing insurance. Generally, more coverage means a higher insurance premium. Learn more about what RV insurance covers.

Need a quick rundown on RV insurance? Watch this brief overview to find out to what's required and how an RV policy can protect your motorhome or trailer.

How is RV insurance priced?

Like with other types of insurance, RV insurance rates come down to risk. How likely are you to file a claim, and what will it cost to repair or replace your motorhome or trailer? Learn more about the factors that impact the cost of RV insurance, including the type of vehicle, the amount of use, and the amount of driving experience.

How to get RV insurance

Go online

Customize your coverage to fit your RV and your unique needs.

Quote RV insurance online

Call us

Talk to a licensed representative about your coverage options.

Call 1-866-749-7436

Ask an agent

Connect with a licensed, independent agent who can answer your questions about RV insurance.

Find an agent online

Hit the open road with RV insurance from Progressive

Learn more about our RV insurance offering.