How to select motorhome insurance coverages

Before you can get behind the wheel of a motorhome, you must carry an RV insurance policy with at least the minimum amount of liability coverage mandated by your state. If you lease or finance your motorhome, your lender typically requires comprehensive and collision coverage. If your motorhome is your permanent residence and you need extra protection, you can add optional coverages that comprise a "full-timer" RV policy. Note that RVs towed with another vehicle are considered travel trailers and don't have the same coverage requirements as motorhomes.

4 min to read

Explore Progressive's editorial standards for Answers articles to find out why you can trust the insurance information you find here.

What are the required motorhome insurance coverages?

Whether you drive a class A motorhome, class B camper van, or class C mini motorhome, your RV insurance policy must have at least the minimum liability coverage limits required by your state for auto insurance. RV liability coverage can pay for injuries you cause to others while driving your motorhome, up to the limits of your policy. This coverage can also pay for property damage you cause up to your policy's limit.

Depending on your state, you may also be required to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which can cover you if you're involved in a motorhome accident and the at-fault driver has no insurance or not enough coverage.

Because a motorhome is driven and not pulled by another vehicle, like a travel trailer, many of the available coverages are similar to auto insurance. Read about the differences between motorhomes and travel trailers and find out what the RV insurance requirements are in your state.

What are the optional motorhome insurance coverages?

Many insurers, including Progressive, let you customize your RV insurance policy for optimum protection. Here are some additional motorhome insurance coverages you may add to your policy, depending on your situation and how you use your motorhome:

Comprehensive and collision

These coverages protect your motorhome against physical damage and loss, minus your deductible. Comprehensive covers events out of your control, including theft, vandalism, animal collisions, fire, and weather-related issues. Collision can pay to repair or replace your motorhome if it collides with another vehicle or object, such as a tree, fence, or guardrail.

While RV comprehensive and collision coverage are never mandated by law, your lender may require both coverages if you finance or lease your motorhome. However, even if you have paid off your motorhome, carrying comprehensive and collision can be critical in safeguarding your motorhome, since it is often one of your most valuable assets.

Roof Protection Plus®

Progressive's Roof Protection Plus coverage can protect the roof of your motorhome. If your roof is damaged from an accident, weather-related issue, or even wear and tear, we can pay to repair or replace it. This coverage only applies for motorhomes less than six years old and a $250 deductible applies.

Vacation liability

If you're on vacation and liable for someone's injury that occurred inside or near your motorhome, vacation liability coverage can cover you up to your coverage limit. Learn more about RV insurance coverages and what RV insurance covers.

What extra motorhome insurance coverages do you need if your motorhome is your permanent residence?

If you live in your motorhome full-time, you can purchase a full-time RV insurance policy. The following coverages are always optional but can be valuable safeguards if you use your RV as your permanent residence.

  • Loss assessment: This coverage can pay for fees mandated by your RV association, such as charges for damages to shared areas of your RV park.
  • Personal liability: Also known as "full-timer's liability," personal liability coverage can cover you if you're liable for someone else's injuries or damages while your motorhome is parked.
  • Medical payments: If you or your passengers are injured in a motorhome accident, medical payments coverage may pay for your hospital bills, up to your coverage limits and regardless of who's at fault.

What does "full coverage insurance" mean for a motorhome?

"Full coverage" is a term you hear often for all types of motor vehicle insurance policies. However, like car insurance, there's no RV policy that covers you and your motorhome in all situations, and there's no consensus on what constitutes a "full coverage" policy.

Do campervans and mini-motorhomes need the same coverage as class A motorhomes?

Liability coverage is mandatory for all motorhomes, and nearly all lenders require comprehensive and collision if you finance or lease your motorhome. While class A motorhomes may be larger and more luxurious than camper vans and mini motorhomes, adding optional coverage doesn't necessarily depend on the size or status of your motorhome. RV insurance coverages are designed to protect your investment in any type of motorhome.

Protect your motorhome with RV insurance from Progressive


We'll ask about your RV and desired coverages, so you can get the right policy for you.

Get an RV insurance quote

Call a rep

You'll speak with a licensed representative who can help customize your quote.

Call 1-866-749-7436

Through an agent

If you want local advice, we'll connect you with a licensed, independent agent near you.

Find an agent online

Hit the open road with RV insurance from Progressive

Learn more about our RV insurance offering.