What’s included in a standard Progressive California boat insurance policy?
Bodily injury liability coverage and property damage liability coverage helps pay for damages and injuries. Property damage liability covers damage to docks, marinas, and other boats. In contrast, bodily injury liability covers the medical costs of injuries sustained by other boaters, guests and visitors aboard. As with any boat liability coverage, choose a coverage limit that best protects you and your assets. If you need more than a $500,000 liability limit, a Progressive umbrella policy can offer extra protection for up to $5 million.
Wreckage removal coverage can help remove your boat from the water if it sinks.
Fuel spill covers the cost of legally required cleaning that comes with spilled fuel.
Watersport coverage pays for medical expenses for injuries gained from water-tubing, water-skiing, and other related sports.
Optional Progressive boat coverages
Comprehensive and collision: Comprehensive coverage helps repair or replace your boat if it's damaged by events outside your control, such as fire, theft, or vandalism. This type of coverage is particularly useful when your boat is in storage, and you are not actively checking on it. Collision coverage pays for repairs to your boat if you collide with another vessel or object like a buoy or dock. If you're financing your boat, your lender will likely require both comprehensive and collision. Learn more about comprehensive and collision coverage for boats.
Sign & Glide®: Sign & Glide® towing assistance† will help if your boat is stuck in the water with on-water towing, jump starts, fuel delivery††, and more.
Fishing equipment or carry-on items: If your fishing equipment or other gear is lost or stolen, you can receive the full replacement cost up to $10,000 for fishing gear, scuba gear, phones, and other items.
See all Progressive boat insurance coverages.
Does Progressive insure yachts?
With so much Pacific coastline, California is a popular state for boaters. You’ll see plenty of boats on the water, including yachts. If you're a boater in the state of California with a yacht more than 26 feet, Progressive may still be able to help you get the insurance you need.
How much is boat insurance in California?
California is considered a medium-cost state in terms of boat insurance cost. In addition to the type of coverage you opt for, many factors determine the cost of boat insurance, including:
- Your age: Generally, the older you are, the more affordable your rate may be.
- Make, model, and year of the boat: Insuring larger, older, or more expensive boats often leads to higher premiums.
- Boating experience: More experienced boaters may pay less for boat insurance than newer boaters.
- Claims history: This may include both at-fault and not-at-fault claims.
How can I lower my boat insurance rate in California?
Discounts vary by state, but you may be able to lower your Progressive insurance rate if:
- Responsible driver: You've had no auto or watercraft violations or accidents in three years; you could significantly lower your insurance rates.
- Association: You're a member of the US Coast Guard Auxiliary or the US Power Squadron; you can receive a discount.
- Prompt payment: You pay on time; you can receive lower rates over time.
- Pay in full: You pay your boat policy upfront and in full; you can receive a discount on overall rates.
See if you qualify for more boat insurance discounts.