Last Updated: July 7, 2015
Terms and Conditions
Your participation in the Snapshot® program is expressly conditioned on your acceptance of these terms and conditions. If you do not agree with any part of these terms and conditions, you should not participate in Snapshot.
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies (Progressive) reserves the right to modify the terms and conditions at any time. Modifications to these terms and conditions can be viewed by logging in to your policy through progressive.com. Continued participation in Snapshot by you will constitute your acceptance of any revisions to these terms and conditions. Please check this Web page regularly.
Progressive offers a usage-based insurance rating program, called Snapshot, which allows customers to potentially save money based on their actual driving habits. Snapshot gives people more control over how much they pay for auto insurance, and can help make people safer drivers. With Snapshot, safe driving saves you more on your car insurance.
Customers who enroll in Snapshot will receive a small device to plug into their vehicle's OBD port, typically located beneath the steering column. The device collects and sends to us driving information for approximately one policy term, after which the device needs to be returned to us.
In some states and situations, after plugging in the device and collecting 30 days of driving data, we will calculate an initial Snapshot score and determine discount eligibility and amount. If the vehicle is deemed eligible for discount pricing, once the device has been connected to the vehicle for a minimum of 75 days after the initial plug in, a second score will determine renewal pricing. In these states, vehicles are eligible for discounts only if the device is plugged in; and customers can opt out of the program at any time, and return to our traditional rating program.
In other states and situations, new customers to Progressive are eligible for a first-term participation discount, after which customers will receive a personalized rate—meaning a discount or surcharge applied to their insurance premium based on their driving habits—at the next renewal of their policy. For customers who enroll and plug in the device, most will save money at renewal based on their good driving. Some customers who drive more aggressively will receive a surcharge at renewal. In these states, customers can opt out of the program within 45 days of enrolling in Snapshot, and we won't consider their Snapshot experience at all—they'll go back to their standard Progressive rate. Customers who choose to plug in the device and then opt out more than 45 days after enrolling in Snapshot will receive a surcharge to their policy at the next renewal.
For more about the Snapshot program available in your state, please visit the web page www.progressive.com/snapshot-details for details.
The Snapshot Device
How It Works. Participating customers will be given a device that plugs into the data port on vehicles that are model year 1996 or newer and collects vehicle-usage information.
The Snapshot device records vehicle speed and time information, Vehicle Identification Number, G force (in some devices), as well as when the device is plugged into and unplugged from the vehicle. Devices transmit that data wirelessly to and from Progressive. Other information, such as miles driven and rates of acceleration and braking, is derived from the speed and time information. Some Snapshot devices contain GPS technology and record location information for research and development purposes only.
Property of Progressive. Devices are the property of Progressive and are provided by us for each vehicle you enroll for participation in Snapshot. Progressive and its vendors retain all right, title, and interest in and to the Snapshot device and firmware. You may not reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, alter, duplicate, translate, make copies, or create derivative works from the device or firmware, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code of the firmware, except to the extent allowed under applicable law. If applicable law permits such activities, any information discovered as a result of these activities must be promptly disclosed to Progressive and is deemed to be the confidential and proprietary information of Progressive.
Returning the Device. After the end of the monitoring period, we'll send you a postage-paid return package that you can use to return the device to us. Please do not remove and return the device until we notify you that we have gathered enough driving information. Each device must be returned to Progressive. Failure to return the device to us in a timely manner, and in good, working condition (normal wear and tear excepted), could result in a charge of up to $50 to your policy account.
Acknowledgement/Vehicle Owner Consent
By participating in Snapshot, you represent that you have the consent of the registered owner of each vehicle in which a device will be plugged in to (a) plug in the device, (b) provide information collected by the device to us, and (c) permit us to retain and use the information as described in these terms and conditions. Once the vehicle information is sent to us, the recorded information will be erased from the device. Progressive will retain information collected or derived from the device indefinitely.
Snapshot data may be useful in determining the cause of an automobile accident. If you're in an accident, you may have a legal obligation to preserve the information on the device. This information may be sought by opposing parties in a civil lawsuit or by police when investigating the cause of an accident, or we may be legally obligated to provide such information in response to a subpoena or as otherwise required by law. In the event that you have an insurance claim with us, we will not use the data to resolve the claim without first obtaining your permission or (if not you) the registered vehicle owner's permission. There may also be instances where we're required to provide driving information to a state department of insurance in order to support renewal rates.
The device uses a certain amount of current from the battery even when the vehicle is not turned on. Care should be taken in using the device in vehicles that have old or weak batteries, or that may go extended periods without being started.
Privacy. We're committed to protecting your privacy and earning your trust, and understand you may have concerns about how we use the Snapshot data we collect. In addition to our commitment to you in our Privacy & Security Policy at progressive.com, we explain what we will and won't do with the driving data in our Snapshot Privacy Statement, located at progressive.com/auto/snapshot-privacy-statement.
Viewing the driving data. All customers, regardless of the device used, will be able to review reports on their driving habits produced from Snapshot data by logging in to their policy through progressive.com.
Snapshot data will be used in determining your personalized rate for each enrolled vehicle, which may result in a discount, or in some states a surcharge, to your vehicle coverages depending on your driving habits and conditions.
In some states and situations, Snapshot pricing works as follows:
- Initial Discount. After plugging in the device and collecting 30 days of driving data, we will calculate an initial Snapshot score to determine discount eligibility and amount. (Note: vehicles are eligible for discount pricing only if the device is plugged in.)
- Snapshot Results. If the vehicle is deemed eligible for discount pricing, once the device has been connected to the vehicle for a minimum of 75 days after the initial plug in, a second score will determine renewal pricing on a going-forward basis, until such time as Progressive, in its sole discretion, either elects to collect additional vehicle data to re-evaluate how the vehicle is being driven and recalculate the Snapshot discount, if any, or revises the discount factors.
- Minimum Data Collection. In the event the minimum data capture period extends beyond a renewal of your policy after enrollment, Snapshot discount pricing based on the second score will be deferred until the subsequent policy renewal. If at the second renewal after enrollment the vehicle still does not have the minimum 75 days of connectivity, the vehicle will be opted out of the program.
- Ending Your Enrollment. You may end your enrollment in the Snapshot program at any time, and return to our traditional rating program.
In other states and situations, Snapshot pricing works as follows:
- Participation Discount. New customers to Progressive will be eligible for a Snapshot participation discount during their first policy term. To qualify, you must enroll in the program and plug in the device provided by us within 45 days after enrollment. Existing customers who enroll their vehicle(s) in Snapshot will not be eligible for the participation discount. If applied, the participation discount will be removed for those who haven't plugged in within 45 days. The participation discount may be re-applied, on prorated basis, for those who plug in after 45 days but before the end of the current policy term.
- Snapshot Results. After collecting your driving information for approximately a policy term, we will calculate a driving score based on your driving results and determine your personalized rate at the first renewal of your policy. Once we collect sufficient driving data to establish your driving score, our interpretation of what the score means in terms of pricing may change over time based on factors we file with your state's department of insurance. Snapshot results may also be considered in determining pricing tier and in making underwriting decisions. Your driving score will remain the same for each renewal, until such time as Progressive, in its sole discretion, elects to collect additional vehicle data to re-evaluate how the vehicle is being driven and recalculate the driving score.
- Minimum Data Collection. The Snapshot device must be connected to your vehicle for a minimum of 75 days after the initial plug in to determine your driving score and provide personalized pricing. In the event the minimum data capture period extends beyond a renewal of your policy after enrollment, personalized pricing will be deferred until the subsequent policy renewal. If at the second renewal after enrollment, the vehicle still does not have the minimum 75 days of connectivity, the vehicle will be opted out of the program with a surcharge.
- Ending Your Enrollment. You can opt out of Snapshot before we have completed reviewing your driving information. If you opt out within 45 days of enrolling in Snapshot, we won't consider your Snapshot experience at all—you'll simply go back to your standard Progressive rate. If you chose to plug in the device and then opt out more than 45 days after being enrolled in Snapshot, you'll receive a surcharge to your policy when it comes up for renewal.
The Snapshot discount or surcharge does not apply to all coverages. We apply the discount or surcharge to the premium for the three major coverages: bodily injury, property damage and collision, but the premium for some of the other coverages or expenses may not be discounted or surcharged.
In some cases the Snapshot program will affect the amount of your Paid in Full or EFT discount savings.
For customers in Maryland and Missouri who became Progressive policyholders prior to 2011, the program description and program pricing terms described above may not apply to your situation. Please refer instead to the Terms and Conditions provided in the device packaging mailed to you when you enrolled.
For more specifics on how Snapshot is priced in your state, please visit progressive.com/snapshot-details.
Usage and Eligibility Requirements
Enrollment in Snapshot will occur upon completion of the following steps:
- you enroll for Snapshot either online, over the phone, or through your Progressive agent (where available);
- you provide a valid email address;
- you accept these terms and conditions for participating in the Snapshot program; and
- you plug in a device in all vehicles enrolled in Snapshot within 45 days after enrollment.
If the total time the Snapshot device is connected to a participating vehicle during a policy period is insufficient for Progressive to make a reasonable determination of your driving behavior, or if the pattern of disconnections suggests that reported driving behavior may not be representative of actual behavior, renewal pricing based on Snapshot data for the affected vehicle may not be applied. In states where customers are eligible for a participation discount, the participation discount, if applied, will be removed and you will receive a surcharge at renewal. Technical issues with the Snapshot device, or data quality or data transmission issues, may prevent us from providing renewal pricing based on Snapshot data. Removal of renewal pricing for these reasons will not affect your future participation in Snapshot.
Use of the Device on Different Vehicles
The rules for transferring the device are as follows:
- Replacing Vehicle: The device may be transferred to a vehicle replacing an existing vehicle on the policy that was enrolled with Snapshot. The new vehicle must be eligible for Snapshot, meaning the device must be compatible with the new vehicle. If the new vehicle is not eligible for the program, the device from the replaced vehicle must be returned to Progressive.
- Removing Vehicle: If you remove a vehicle from your policy that was enrolled for Snapshot, you must return the device to Progressive.
We will periodically send you reminders and other information by email and/or phone while you're participating in Snapshot.
Disclaimer / Limitation of Liability
YOU AGREE THAT PROGRESSIVE'S LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE DEVICE SHALL BE LIMITED TO PROPERTY DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE IN WHICH IT IS PLUGGED IN. FURTHER, PROGRESSIVE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR BODILY INJURY OR DAMAGE TO OTHER VEHICLES OR PROPERTY, CAUSED BY OR RESULTING FROM THE DEVICE HAVING BEEN PLUGGED INTO THE VEHICLE.
PROGRESSIVE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR TERMINATE THE SNAPSHOT PROGRAM AT ANY TIME AND FOR ANY REASON.
U.S. Patent Nos. 5,797,134, 6,064,970, 6,868,386, 8,090,598, 8,140,358, 8,311,858, 8,595,034, and 8,892,451, and any additional patents and pending applications claiming priority from these patents, or otherwise related to Progressive's usage-based insurance program, apply to the Snapshot program and device.