Apron Relief Program
Extra support during the COVID-19 crisis
We hope you and your family are healthy and holding up well through the uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19). While COVID-19 is causing disruption in our lives and communities, we’re committed to making sure that you have the protection and support you need.
Introducing the Apron Relief Program
To us, the apron is a symbol of protection. That’s why we’re assisting our customers, employees, communities, and agents by committing over $1 Billion to them in this time of need.
Assistance with coverage and payments
During this unprecedented time, we know you may be experiencing stress and financial hardship. While you’re doing your part to fight the pandemic, we’re committed to being there in your time of need. With that in mind, here are some steps we’ve taken to make things a little easier:
Personal auto premium credit (NY auto customers see below*)
- If you have an active personal auto policy at the end of April or May, you will be receiving a 20% premium
There is nothing you need to do. We will calculate your credit for you at the end of that month, and you’ll
see it in
your Progressive account a few weeks after that. It’s all automatic—our plan is to provide you a
each credit is in your account.
What you need to qualify
To receive a credit of 20% of your April premium, your personal auto policy must be active at the end of April. Similarly, to receive a credit of 20% of your May premium, your personal auto policy must be active at the end of May.
When you'll receive your credit
We’ll calculate your credit within a few weeks of the end of April and May. You’ll receive your credit shortly after that.
How your credit will be applied
Once we’ve calculated the credit for your policy, we’ll automatically apply it to any outstanding balance or your next bill. And if you’re already paid in full, we’ll return the credit amount directly to your payment account or issue you a check.
How to estimate your credit
Because your premium can change throughout the month due to renewal or policy changes you request, we can’t tell you exactly what your credit will be until the end of the month. But you can get a sense of what your credit will be by taking 20% of your normal monthly premium.
For example, if your 6-month policy premium is normally $900, one month of premium would be roughly $150. In that situation, you’d be likely to receive a credit of $30 for April. Then, if your policy stays active, you’d receive an additional $30 for May. Keep in mind that unique policy and billing situations may apply. And if you bought a policy after the first of the month, your credit will be prorated—we’ll base it off of the amount of time you were insured with us that month.
- For more information, please see our premium credit FAQs.
- These credits are subject to approval by your state regulators.
- *For NY customers: NY credits will be applied for premium of the months of May and June, instead of April and May. To receive a credit of 20% of your May premium, your personal auto policy must be active at the end of April. Similarly, to receive a credit of 20% of your June premium, your personal auto policy must be active at the end of May. Credits will be applied within a few weeks of the end of each month. It doesn’t matter when you purchased your policy—you will receive a 20% credit for the premium of those months, and it won’t be prorated. There’s nothing you need to do. We will automatically apply your credit to your policy.
- On April 1, 2020, we waived late fees, paused collections, and held off on canceling or non-renewing any active policies due to non-payment through May 15, 2020. Some states issued different leniency guidelines, and we’ll meet all state-specific requirements. For details, visit our state-specific information page.
- After the leniency period in your state ends, any remaining balance on your policy will become due. If you need more support, please don’t hesitate to call us—we’re happy to work with you to manage payments moving forward.
- For details on how we’re helping our commercial customers, please visit their dedicated information page.
Other Apron Relief efforts
Over the past few months, we’ve sponsored a number of relief efforts to address various burdens due to the pandemic:
- Billing leniency for customers
- Expedited roadside assistance to those serving at the front lines of the crisis
- Deferred deductibles for personal vehicle policies to help customers get back on the road after a claim
- Expanded coverage for personal auto customers who are temporarily delivering food or medicine
- Meal delivery for our for-hire truckers
- Full-service claims experience for first responders and health care workers
- Advances on our annual bonus program
- Advances on vacation days and paid leave for those who are unable to work
- Covered co-pays for telemedicine visits and the cost of COVID-19 medical treatment
For our communities
- $8 million donation by the Progressive Foundation to charities focused on hunger, health, and homelessness, including Feeding America, the American Red Cross, and the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
- Checks totaling over $2 million to all active auto and commercial network shops. Network shops face uncertainty and changing business conditions, and these checks are to be used for any purpose at the shop’s discretion.
- $2 million donation to the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (the Big “I”) to establish the Trusted Choice® COVID-19 Relief Fund, which will help independent agencies respond to the economic and operational challenges presented by the coronavirus crisis
- Unlimited access for producers in our partner programs to continuing education courses and increasing opportunities for all producers to earn through our Agent Rewards program
- 24x7 servicing for agent customers and virtual visits from our sales team
- Funded 2,000 credits worth $250 each for use with the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents’ (PIA) marketing communication programs to spur business growth
For more information on the Apron Relief Program and our efforts during the pandemic, please view our press release or watch our video.
Getting in touch
Your safety is always our top priority:
- You can easily manage your policy online or on the Progressive app. And, our phone lines are always open at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE —just know that call wait times may be a little longer than usual.
- You can also report or check on the status of a claim online, through the Progressive app, or by calling 1-800-PROGRESSIVE. To protect your health and safety, as well as ours, we’re limiting in-person claims interactions as much as possible through virtual contacts and inspections.
This is a situation that none of us have been through before. New questions are sure to continue to arise, and we will do our best to help. We’ll continue to monitor and respond to this situation as it evolves, and we will be here for you when you need us.
We wish you and your loved ones well, and we thank you for being a Progressive customer.