Giving back to those who gave so much
Since 2013, Progressive has been honoring veterans with vehicle donations through the Keys to Progress® veteran vehicle giveaway program.
The one-day vehicle giveaway event happens every November and is a strong source of pride for everyone who works here. Employees across the country volunteer to find vehicles to donate, organize fundraising activities to collect money or goods to provide recipient families, and plan memorable vehicle giveaway events for the veterans.
By providing transportation support, our hope is to offer a little relief and improve the lives of military men and women facing tough circumstances—from difficult personal and family health needs to excessive rent burdens, unemployment and homelessness.
This program is a way for us to come together as a company to give back to people who've given so much for our country.
Vehicle giveaways primarily take place at various Progressive offices and authorized vehicle repair facility locations across the United States. Recipients are expected to live in or near these communities.
We work with military and charity organizations to find veterans in need of a vehicle and with our network of auto-body shops and national salvage companies to identify and refurbish vehicles for donation. We also work closely with these organizations to administer this program every year:
Applications are reviewed starting in May of each program year and recipients are typically selected and contacted by Sept. 30.
If you are a veteran and have interest in being a vehicle recipient in this program, you need to apply through a non-profit organization (e.g., a charity or military association like a Veterans of Foreign Wars [VFW] post, etc.) and meet specific criteria, including:
- Be able to provide a DD214
- Must fall below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines table issued by the Department of Health and Human Services. See National Income Limits (click "a chart with percentages of the guidelines" under "Resources")
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Have a clean driving record – no major infractions in the past seven years
- Be able to insure and maintain the vehicle
- Not own a vehicle currently or show a hardship with current vehicle
- At least one year of income tax filing
- Be able to cover recipient legal obligations and liabilities, including vehicle title transfer fees, all applicable sales tax and fees after one year of vehicle ownership, and insurance coverage after the first six months of vehicle ownership
How to apply
Non-profit organizations and military associations need to request applications on behalf of veterans interested in the program. They can be requested by sending an email to: KeysToProgress@progressive.com.
Once a non-profit organization works with a veteran to complete an application, it should be submitted via email to: KeysToProgress@progressive.com.
If you don’t have or know of a military charity to complete the application process, contact your local VFW post. Vehicles are distributed once a year, typically in November, through the Keys to Progress® veteran vehicle giveaway program. Applications are reviewed starting in May of each program year and recipients are typically selected and contacted by Sept. 30.
For general questions about the program, please send an email to PGR_Community_Involvement@progressive.com. Read our commonly asked questions for more information.
For media inquiries, contact Mike Ferrari at PR_All@progressive.com. Watch the most recent video recaps below.
View program recaps from recent years
Watch behind-the-scenes stories
You can also check here for commonly asked questions