Renters insurance in Michigan
You can get affordable, customized renters insurance in the Great Lakes State through Progressive. Check out the coverages Progressive offers and learn what discounts are available for renters insurance in Michigan before getting a personalized quote.
Is renters insurance required in Michigan?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Michigan law, a landlord or rental agency often will require it. Even if you aren't mandated to purchase renters insurance, it may help protect your belongings from certain perils like theft and fire. It may also pay for you to temporarily stay in a hotel should your apartment or residence become unlivable due to a covered loss.
Michigan renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Michigan renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Michigan is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: may pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Michigan
Some cities in Michigan rank high for crime, with Detroit and Flint ranking second and third in the nation for violent crime rates, and Flint ranking second in the nation for highest burglary rate. Find out how renters insurance may cover theft if your belongings are stolen.
Wondering how to protect your belongings while they're in transit to your new place in Michigan? Learn about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Michigan renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters insurance in Michigan, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does Michigan renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* However, many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Michigan, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.