Is renters insurance required in North Dakota?
No state law requires you to have renters insurance in North Dakota, but your landlord or rental office may still mandate a policy. Even if you aren't required to carry renters insurance, a policy may help protect your possessions against damage and loss from fire, theft, and other covered perils.
North Dakota renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all North Dakota renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in North Dakota is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in North Dakota
In 2019, North Dakota’s burglary rate ranked above the United States average. Personal property coverage on your renters policy may help pay to replace stolen items, up to your policy’s limit and minus your deductible.
Are you needing to insure your belongings while you’re moving? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while in transit or in storage.
Discounts on North Dakota renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in North Dakota, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
What does North Dakota renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in North Dakota, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.