Is renters insurance required in Oregon?
Oregon law doesn't require renters insurance. However, your landlord or the company that manages your apartment building, condo, or house may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable. It may cover your belongings against specific perils. Plus, your renters policy may pay for you to live elsewhere if you're unable to stay in your residence while it's being repaired or rebuilt because of a covered loss that has caused it to be unsuitable for habitation.
Oregon renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Oregon renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Oregon is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water backup: Your standard renters policy may not cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump. Water backup coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Oregon
There are several different threats to Oregon homes, including earthquakes, landslides, winter storms, and more. Your customized Oregon renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Are you moving to Oregon and need to insure your personal items while in transit? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Oregon renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Oregon, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Progressive makes buying renters insurance easy. Use our Home Quote Explorer® tool to compare rates and coverages from multiple renters insurance companies.
How much is renters insurance in Oregon?
You can get an Oregon renters insurance policy for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Oregon, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get an Oregon renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.