Making a lasting impact on communities and people's lives through giving is an expression of Progressive's values in action and something we care deeply about as a company, individuals, and teams.
We all know how quickly we’ve had to flex our workplace, workspace, and home lives as we continue to navigate changes in recent years. As a company, we ask ourselves, “How can we serve the community when we can't be face-to-face?” With thoughtful planning and hard work, we've been able to do just that at Progressive, continuing our commitment to driving social good and making progress.
Here are just some of the ways Progressive demonstrates our company values through community involvement, and how we’ve been able to give back to those in need.
Keys to Progress®
Progressive’s Keys to Progress® community outreach platform currently includes two programs designed to help people move forward in life—and aligns with two of our key business segments—Auto and Home.
Veteran vehicle giveaways
Progressive has been honoring veterans with vehicle donations since 2013. By providing transportation support, our hope is to offer a little relief and improve the lives of military men and women facing tough circumstances. So far, we've gifted more than 800 vehicles, and over the past two years, we’ve continued to host this inspiring giveaway, and engage participants through live virtual events:
- In 2020, 45 vehicles were given to deserving veterans in 28 states.
- In 2021, 50 vehicles were given to deserving veterans in 27 states.
Homeless transition—with Humble Design
Progressive’s collaboration with Humble Design sets families and individuals emerging from homelessness on a course toward a bright and hopeful future by transforming empty spaces into real homes, creating places of belonging and new beginnings.
- Humble Design has provided either a full "deco" or curbside delivery of furniture and needed household items to one client/home every week since Sept. 21, 2020.
- Progressive employees continue to be an invaluable resource through volunteer hours and individual donations. In addition to monetary and item donations, several teams participate in independent collections and drives, which is a great support to the organization.
Our goal in the education space is to share our knowledge to help people make good insurance decisions and promote safe driving. We also strive to encourage students to connect classroom learning to career opportunities. By partnering with schools and organizations, we're investing in the future of our students today, and employees tomorrow.
- Through our employee Donation Station program, we provide refurbished computer equipment to educational institutions—as recommended by employees—to support education and our communities.
- This past year, we teamed up with PCs for People, a national nonprofit that refurbishes used computer equipment to provide to low-income households, to donate 300 PCs in the Cleveland area, with the ability to potentially expand to other markets in the future.
- Using our internally developed courses designed to help students in grades 3-12 learn about insurance and financial literacy, Progressive employees can volunteer to present in schools and other educational settings.
- Since 2013, hundreds of Progressive people have inspired more than 33,000 elementary, middle, and high school students across the country through these presentations.
As part of our commitment to stay involved and give back to the community from a distance, we offer virtual volunteer opportunities in a variety of categories to help Progressive employees engage individually, or as work teams, through shared volunteer experiences they can participate in while at home or online.
In addition, we provide employees “skill-based” volunteerism opportunities, intended for employees interested in sharing their specific skills with non-profits.
Since its inception in 2002, The Progressive Insurance Foundation has given millions of dollars to thousands of charities across the country. Recently, The Foundation launched Name Your Cause: a charitable giving program offered to all employees that gives us the chance to support even more organizations.
Here’s how it works. With Name Your Cause, employees can recommend a charity to receive a $100 donation from The Foundation—all without spending a dime of their own money. It’s Progressive’s way of supporting causes that employees care about while spreading the wealth to more causes we support and more communities in which our people and customers live.