Making a lasting impact on communities and people's lives through giving is an expression of Progressive's values in action and something we care deeply about as a company, individuals, and teams.
We all know how quickly we had to flex and pivot our workplace, workspace, and home lives this past year. As a company, we asked ourselves, “How can we serve the community when we can't be face-to-face?” With a lot of hard work, we've been able to do just that at Progressive, continuing our commitment to driving social good and making progress.
We’re highlighting ways Progressive demonstrates our company values with our community involvement and how we’ve been able to give back during a time of social distancing.
Keys to Progress®
Progressive’s Keys to Progress® community outreach platform currently includes two programs designed to help people move forward in life—and aligns with two of our key business segments—Auto and Home.
Veteran vehicle giveaways
Progressive has been honoring veterans with vehicle donations since 2013. By providing transportation support, our hope is to offer a little relief and improve the lives of military men and women facing tough circumstances. So far, we've gifted more than 750 vehicles.
- In 2020, we held this nationwide event—virtually!—and donated vehicles to 45 deserving recipients.
- Progressive purchased used 2019 vehicles (with less than 44K miles) from Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
Homeless transition—with Humble Design
Progressive’s collaboration with Humble Design sets families and individuals emerging from homelessness on a course toward a bright and hopeful future by transforming empty spaces into real homes, creating places of belonging and new beginnings.
- Humble Design has provided either a full "deco" or curbside delivery of furniture and needed household items to one client/home every week since Sept. 21, 2020.
- Progressive employees continue to be an invaluable resource through volunteer hours, donations, and the desire to be involved and give back. In addition to monetary and item donations, several teams participated in independent collections and drives, which was a great support to the organization.
Our goal in the education space is to share our knowledge to help people make good insurance decisions and promote safe driving. We also strive to encourage students to connect classroom learning to career opportunities. By partnering with schools and organizations, we're investing in the future of our students today, and employees tomorrow.
- Through our employee Donation Station program, we provide refurbished computer equipment to educational institutions—as recommended by employees—to support education and our communities.
- This past year, we teamed up with PCs for People, a national nonprofit that refurbishes used computer equipment to provide to low-income households, to donate 300 PCs in the Cleveland area, with the ability to potentially expand to other markets in the future.
- Using our internally developed courses designed to help students in grades 3-12 learn about insurance and financial literacy, Progressive employees can volunteer to present in schools and other educational settings.
- Though we aren't presenting courses in schools during the pandemic, since 2013, hundreds of Progressive people have inspired more than 33,000 elementary, middle, and high school students across the country through these presentations.
As part of our commitment to stay involved and give back to the community during the pandemic, we created virtual volunteer opportunities to help Progressive employees engage individually, or as work teams through shared volunteer experiences they can participate in while at home or online.
The Progressive Insurance Foundation
Progressive’s goal is to give back to local communities by supporting the charities our people choose to support. Employees who support a cause are encouraged to take advantage of our Matching Gift program and request a company match.
Progressive continues to be a driving force for good in our communities and we’re so proud to be able to give ongoing support to our communities safely and effectively, even in a pandemic. To see more information on our company’s causes and giving, visit Corporate Responsibility on progressive.com.